“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” --mark twain

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Got Safety Pins?

Meadham Kirchhoff  added a touch of safety pins to the black pants on the right.
Vena Cava Spring 2010:Safety Pin dress!
Safety Pin bow tie brooch by Augustine Wong

Safety Pin dress by Gareth Pugh
I am loving this new trend of simply adding safety pins to basic pieces of clothing to make it a bit unique.  It's a lot of fun to come up with different ways and designs to bring a whole new look!  And the best thing about it?  It's a one of a kind piece that not everybody is wearing!  I'm a big believer in being a leader not a follower.  I decided to give it a try with a basic white tee.  It took a few hours to complete but it was well worth the time.  I bought several different size and color safety pins with a total of about 400 to 450.  I placed some cardboard in between the shirt to prevent safety pinning through the other side and then I got some tape to tape out the design I wanted so it would be even.  I did the top layer with the pins facing upwards and the bottom layer with the pins facing downwards.  It's very simple yet very time consuming.  
This top would be perfect with skinny jeans, boots or flats, and a leather biker jacket.
Ta-Da!!!  What will your safety pin project be?

No comments:

Post a Comment